We assist South African businesses and individuals to unlock their full potential whilst growing with them every step of the way.
Local Financial Services
- Local investments across a full spectrum of asset classes ranging from cash funds through to equity, property and bond funds and where necessary,
specialised portfolios such as hedge fund products and structures;
- Investment products including retirement funds, preservation funds and structured wrappers;
- Estate planning including wills, trusts and tax affairs;
- Personal and business risk management (including assessment and analysis of existing life policies and benefits).
Offshore Financial Services
- Direct offshore investments utilising either offshore allowances, or, where these have been fully utilised, additional offshore transfers through negotiated asset-swaps;
- Offshore portfolio management of funds held in overseas jurisdictions, including amnistised assets;
- Estate planning and tax guidance, including either establishing offshore trusts or managing/advising your existing offshore trust assets.
All elements of the above services are included in the comprehensive reports provided to our clients. We remain up to date with the constant changes in both legislation and the asset management industry, and the impact these changes have on our clients wealth management strategies.
Wealth Management Process
Our wealth management services are specifically geared towards achieving long-term goals and objectives that have been agreed on at the start of our relationship. In order to establish your long term goals and prepare an appropriate structured plan, we need to establish (amongst others) the following:
- Your current financial and personal circumstances (current investments, assets, liabilities and income potential, as well as an understanding of your family situation);
- Goals and expectations you have in terms of your investment portfolio and current or future income/capital requirements;
- Your personal values in terms of what you expect to achieve with your income and capital expectations;
- Personal expectations in terms of portfolio performance and capital volatility, and your understanding of portfolio and asset class returns;
- Any other issues that may need further discussion.
Having spent time understanding your personal requirements and expectations, and using the information gathered both during the meeting and from the Client Questionnaire which you will have completed, we then prepare a report which will cover the following issues:
- A summary of your circumstances and requirements;
- Assessment of your specific financial goals and expectations in terms of your current assets and projected cashflows;
- Specific recommendations on structuring an appropriate portfolio;
- Cash flow projections based on what we believe are reasonable assumptions regarding long-term portfolio returns and income requirements;
- Identification of any risks posed to your long-term goals (for example, ensuring that any children/dependants or family members have adequate medical aid/life cover);
- Specific issues regarding estate planning, and recommended estate planning mechanisms to resolve these.
Partnering System Providers
Holistic wealth management requires the use of the following service providers:
- Administration services for the provision of products such as retirement funds and living annuities;
- Asset management for the investment of funds into the various asset classes (equities, bonds, property, cash and hedge funds, both locally and offshore);
- Estate planning (wills, trusts and tax advice);
- Risk management (life assurance, including both personal and business risk management).
To provide a truly independent wealth management service where your interests are placed first, we utilise external companies for all of the above requirements. We are therefore able to objectively assess and change, if necessary, the services that these companies provide on our behalf to our clients.
We only deal with reputable companies who have a long-term track record of superior products and/or services. We are aware of new developments in the financial services industry, but remain committed to providing access to service providers that have a proven track-record.
Sterling Private Wealth prides itself in partnering its clients with highly respected fund investment management teams, both globally and locally.
The greater Sterling advisory team enjoys over 100 years’ experience in retail high net worth client relationships and strategy, and has vast experience in manager selection, interrogation, and approval.
The core principles of our selection criteria are as follows:
- We favour well respected individuals (not necessarily team or brand related), with in excess of 10 years measurable investment experience;
- We advocate a blend of large managers (size is not necessarily a constraint), and boutique, smaller, flexible, independent managers, upon our approved fund list;
- We do not favour a trading mentality and prefer bottom, up, conservative, margin of safety type approaches;
- It is preferable for our selected managers to display a high degree of downside protection, as we understand the importance of this aspect of wealth planning in our mutual client’s lives. We seek to employ managers who guard against a permanent impairment of capital entrusted to us;
- Our managers need to have a deep understanding of our end investors requirements and needs;
- Low portfolio turnover;
- Reasonable and fair pricing;
- Fund managers with whom we can develop a lasting relationship based on mutual respect, understanding, patience and tolerance.
All fees or commissions earned are fully disclosed and agreed upon up front. Where we utilise companies for once-off or ad-hoc professional services (for example, wills and estate planning) we shall assess your requirements and then request a written quote from the relevant company for your consideration before proceeding.